Thursday, December 28, 2006

Captive Girl

Wow. I don't know how many of you are aware of the SF&F short fiction site Helix. These guys don't accept submissions, and the stories they publish are damned good. The one I just read - just before going to sleep, which I'm pretty sure is a big mistake - was one of the most claustrophobic stories I've ever read, and beautifully written.

I'm not really into horror - and this isn't really a horror story. But the story brings along with it such an incredible frisson, I had my breath catch repeatedly as I read the story. It includes mature themes, not for the easily offended. But it kicks ass and is worth reading.

Try the other stories on that site, too. You won't regret bookmarking it.

1 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger captstrange said...

Thanks for letting us know about that site, looks like a good one! I just read "Captive Girl," and you're right: creeeepy & twisted. I'm sure I'll be thinking about it tonight when I go to bed and strap on my breathing mask that I have to wear every night for the sleep apnea -- this breathing mask that fits snugly over my nose and mouth, with its long plastic tube coming out of it and its straps wrapped around my head. Okay, now it's really kind of creeping me out. Gee, thanks a lot, Helge...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home