Thursday, December 28, 2006

Stolen Child Stuff

I ran across a reading guide for January's book. Check it out if you're so inclined. It includes a copy of the William Butler Yeats poem on the theme of the changeling. Interesting. There's also an interview with the author. Since I had some real issues with the book, I'm wondering if reading any of these things will change my impressions of the novel at all. Probably not, but I'll read them anyway.

If you read that wikipedia entry on changelings, you find some entries on novels written by Poul Anderson, Raymond Feist, Michael Swanwick, Roger Zelazny, etc etc.

Also interesting to note that the incomparable Loreena McKennitt put Yeats' poem to music on her album Elemental.

Speaking of changelings, does anyone else remember that very cool 1980 movie The Changeling starring George C. Scott? It took the idea out of the realm of faerie and put it firmly in a suspense/haunted house setting, and it is kind of tame by today's standards. I remember seeing it in the theater when it first came out and the woman sitting right behind me kept screaming at the top of her lungs, especially at the bouncing ball and the kid in the tub. The movie was scary, but she scared the hell out of me. It still holds up well though, even without the screaming. If you haven't seen it, add it to your Netflix list...

Oh, and in case you didn't see it, I left a comment on the previous post about Starfish. (Guess I'll be reading that one in pdf...)

1 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger CHIC-HANDSOME said...

good picture

 

Post a Comment

<< Home