Sunday, January 21, 2007

Recent find: The Terror

I checked out the latest Dan Simmons book from the library with just a little trepidation: I haven't liked much of what he's written lately for one reason or another (maybe it was just my mood). So starting a 700+ pager that takes place in the Arctic in the 19th century... well, I was in a "prove it to me" mode. I've now passed page 100 and I can hardly put it down. It's Dan Simmons in top form. It's sort of a historical suspense thriller -- two ships locked in the ice north of Canada, and something is stalking them from out there in the very frozen wasteland. I found myself having to turn up the furnace as I was reading -- I'd swear the room was getting colder. Good stuff!

And, Scott, if you get to see Dan at the signing in Denver in Feb., let us know the scoop...

In case anyone is interested, here's Dan's website.

1 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Blogger Otterboy said...

I had an ARC of The Terror since September, finished it in early October. Outstanding just as a mainstream historical novel, but Dan being Dan, he added a touch more of the unknown to the mix. Let me know when you finish it as I'd like to discuss it with you.

And you are right, reading that title in the middle of winter would be challenging...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home