Sunday, June 18, 2006

Locus Awards

Awards, awards and more awards. The Locus Awards are interesting because it's the readers that actually vote (and I'll bet they can't vote multiple times like on American Idol!). Anyway, they were announced yesterday, and there were some interesting choices. Best Science Fiction Novel went to Charles Stross for Accelerando. First I think I've even heard of this author or of this title. Probably because it's hard scifi, which doesn't seem to be quite my thing. Anybody read this one? Best Fantasy Novel was Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman. This of course got the starred review from Pub Weekly, and lots of other acclaim. Haven't read this one yet, but sounds very entertaining. Best Non-Fiction went to Kate Wilhelm for Storyteller: Writing Lessons and More from 27 Years of the Clarion Writers' Workshop, one I've read and enjoyed. Her recounting of the early years of Clarion was interesting, and her advice to writers was spot on. A book I'm sure I'll refer back to. Well worth the time to check this one out (if you can find it -- I had to special order it in, being from a small press).

1 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger Helge said...

Stross actually published that story on-line. I've got a copy of it on my thumbdrive, just never got around to reading it all the way through.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home